When healthy, New York Mets ace Jacob deGrom is undeniably one of the best starting pitchers in all of MLB. However, the 33-year-old was limited to just 15 starts last year due to multiple injury issues, most notably what Mike Puma of the New York Post recently referred to as a low-grade tear in the ulnar collateral ligament in his right (throwing) elbow.
After deGrom was shut down for the campaign in late September, a report surfaced suggesting he would opt out of his current deal following the 2022 season, in part because he was allegedly less-than-thrilled with contract talks he had with team owner Steve Cohen and president Sandy Alderson last spring. The two-time National League Cy Young Award winner confirmed that news Monday at spring training.
“That’s the business side of baseball,” deGrom explained, according to Anthony DiComo of the official MLB website. “As a player, you build in opt-outs, and that’s the business side. But for me, I don’t want that to be any distraction. I’m excited about this team. I’ve said it before, I love being a Met. I think it would be really cool to be one for my entire career, but the plan is to exercise that [opt-out].”
Meanwhile, Cohen told reporters Sunday: “We’re going to play the season and then we’ll figure that out, and Jake will do what he does. We love Jake, and we’ll figure it out at some point.”
The 33-year-old hasn’t faced an opposing batter in a competitive game since July 7. He finished last season with a 7-2 record, a 1.08 ERA and 0.55 WHIP.
In other Mets news, slugger Pete Alonso confirmed he was involved in a scary car crash over the weekend but is feeling OK.