After quarterback Carson Wentz underperformed in what were “win-and-we’re-in” Week 17 and 18 games that the Indianapolis Colts lost to miss out on the postseason tournament, multiple individuals associated with the club all but said that Wentz’s time with the organization was borrowed, at best.
Team owner Jim Irsay vowed “to do whatever it takes” to get the Colts back into the playoffs as soon as possible, and neither general manager Chris Ballard nor head coach Frank Reich committed to keeping Wentz their QB1 when given opportunities to do so in January. After the Colts agreed to trade Wentz to the Washington Commanders, reports surfaced that some within the Indianapolis franchise had been “frustrated” with the 29-year-old since even before the start of this past season.
As Pro Football Talk’s Josh Alper explained, Wentz met with media members as a Commanders player for the first time Thursday and said he was “definitely surprised” he and the Colts parted ways after only a single campaign working together.
“Sometimes I wonder the same, to be honest,” Wentz admitted about asking himself how his relationship with the Colts allegedly soured so quickly. “I think it was a year that had highs and lows, ups and downs. But the way we finished, the way I finished, was horrible. It was horrible. It was tough to swallow.”
Per Nick Shook of the NFL’s website, Wentz added:
“Anytime you’re in a new place, you want it to work out. You want to be there, you want to do the best you can for that team, that organization, that fan base and God willing, it works out for a long time. It didn’t. And God changes our plans. Here we are, and we’re excited for it.”
As for the Colts, they may be turning their eyes toward Cleveland Browns starter Baker Mayfield even if the Browns feel they want to run it back with the 2018 first-overall draft pick after missing out on Houston Texans star Deshaun Watson.